Sunday, August 1, 2010

Initial Symptoms

I was asked what was wrong with my plasma cutter before I started fixing it. Pretty much everything worked correctly. The power LED turned on, the fan started, air blew through the torch when the trigger was pressed. The only problem was that there was never an arc nor any cutting.

If you have a plasma cutter that isn't working, chances are there is a burned out component(s) inside. Just open it up, discharge the power as I describe in an earlier post, and look for broken components. Some of the most common ones are: leaking capacitor (oozing out the top), blown diode, burned up resistor, broken chip/mosfet (chunk missing from chip), broken relay.

11 comments:

  1. Hi luke can you send me your email i have few questions for you about your plasma fixing.
    thanks,
    Ari

    ariel5101@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. so finnaly did you make it work ?


    ReplyDelete
  3. Luke can I get ahold of you about a plasma cutter my email. Pzar73@gmail.Com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice article as for me. It would be great to read something more concerning this theme. The only thing it would also be great to see on this blog is some pics of some gadgets.plasma cutting machine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was using the Cut-40 and it quit in the middle of the cut. I noticed that there was a tiny nut wedged in the vent grate on the side. Had power to the machine..or at least to the switch. I pulled the cover off and quickly noticed that 2 nuts had come lose dropping something down on the board. Got that part put back up and hooked power back...still the same problem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. looks like you shorted something for sure check the resistors and the relay board

      Delete
  6. I have a cut 50 that I will like to fix I have pictures of the priblem mine have a burn part that I don't know the value for serch and buy the part, that's the main problem identified the parts that I need, well thanks and hope you can help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. send me your pics i can look at mine and tell you what it is

      Delete
  7. I have a cut50 2018 model that worked for 2 cuts then fan and display stop working. Saw a split diode and replaced it with a better one. Everything powers up but now when i press the cut switch there are sparks and explosions inside the box... I am looking into it now but figure I would ask if anyone has had this issue here?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My 2018 cut50 same thing. Any good fixes

    ReplyDelete