Wednesday, May 27, 2009

CUT40 Plasma Cutter

I'm creating this blog for two reasons:

1. To hopefully repair my plasma cutter.
2. To help others repair their plasma cutter if it has the same problem as mine.

I have a LOTOS CUT40 plasma cutter, but I'm sure that many other models are very similar, if not identical. Other similar units may include CUT40D, CUT50, CUT50D or Simadre CUT40, etc.

I opened up the plasma cutter and found a burned out resistor on the bottom transformer/rectifier circuit board. The circuit board consists of four large capacitors, a transformer, some rectifier diodes, some resistors and connectors.

I wouldn't be writing this except that before the resistor burned out, it appears to have gotten extremely hot and the resistor color bands burned off, so I can't see what value I need to order. I could make a guess or calculate the value, but I thought that I would ask you if anyone would consider opening up their unit and tell me the color band colors?

I have attached some pictures to show exactly which resistor it is. The resistor is about 1" long, 1/4" thick, gray in color, and it appears that the second band from the left is black.


If anyone has the time to open up their unit and let me know what the colors are on the resistor, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you for your time, and if anyone needs help repairing their plasma cutter, let me know!


1 comment:

  1. The symtom of mine was could see spark but no cutting flame. Found the sparkgap located bottom front, was corroded. After sanding the gap i got a cutting flame.

    ReplyDelete