Sunday, May 31, 2009

Making Progress

I'd like to thank eBay's motorcycleman561 for opening up his plasma cutter and sending me his resistor values. My plasma cutter is a CUT40 and his is a CUT40D, but the resistors seem to be the same!

I ordered a 10W 1kohm resistor (colors Brown, Black, Red, precision Gold). The plasma cutter initially had a resistor of 5W 1kohm, but since it burned out, I'm replacing it with one that can handle double the power...

The results:

The plasma cutter still doesn't work... The resistor gets very hot (270F) when the trigger is held down.

Here's the new resistor:



Installed:


1 comment:

  1. Great blog Luke.
    I have the Giant Cut40 and it's served me very well as a hobbyist over the last several years. Until last weekend....I smoked the blue capacitor and red thingy that you see on the "Installed:" picture above. They might be part of a voltage bleed, I'm not sure since they exploded when a square fell across and shorted the (-) terminal and face of the Cut40. They are on the lower left going from the small square green pcb to the (+) output. If you have the case open, could you post those values for sparky's like myself. It would be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete